Frequently Asked Questions & Best Advice
WHAT’S A WEDDING LIKE WITH JACQUELINE JAMES?
I’m a Professional 3rd Wheel with a Camera. I say this because I really am so much more than just a photographer. I become a friend + your biggest fan. I’ll remind you to kiss each other often, catch the little looks you give each other, and be in the middle of the dance floor with you. I will remind you to breathe and enjoy when everything else is rushing by. I’m not the photographer you hire if you just want someone to stand in the corner and get photos, I’m the one you hire when you want a photographer who truly puts everything she can into making your day as great as possible. I truly enjoy working with each of my couples and see my job as a chance to tell their story and as something that will get them through the best and worst of days. I care about your wedding or session. I care about you as a couple. Honestly, I feel incredibly honoured to have this opportunity and to have been trusted by so many couples over the years.
My goal is to capture events as they unfold, real moments + emotions. Throughout the morning and portrait time, I like to give small directions while still letting natural moments occur in order to make you feel comfortable while ensuring that your images have a curated look and feel that could come directly from a magazine. During the ceremony and reception, my approach shifts to fully documentary so that you are able to freely enjoy your time with friends and family without any interruptions, and I am able to capture genuine happiness and joy from both you and them!
WHAT INSPIRES YOU?
Beauty, truth, love, colour, nature, romance, poetry, art.
WILL YOU HELP US FIGURE OUT OUR TIMELINE?
Absolutely, I will help you in any way I can so that you have the best possible experience all day long. I’m not a wedding planner but I’m happy to assist you in creating a schedule that will allow for great photos with minimal stress. Let’s talk about ceremony and reception start times together so we can make the most of the gorgeous sunlight for your entire day.
DO YOU HAVE A SECOND PHOTOGRAPHER?
All of my collections include our studios’ second photographer, Braden Hendrickson, who is not only an expert behind + in front of the camera – but is also the love of my life! Together we help to capture that connection and love that you two have using our years of experience in the industry as well as our collective and creative strengths.
WHEN DO WE GET OUR PHOTOS?
Post-production typically takes me up to 6-8 weeks, but delivery can happen sooner. Previews are done within a week after the wedding. The last thing I would want to do is rush over your wedding, just to get it done by the deadline. I spend time and effort trying to handcraft each individual photo to make them beautiful treasures. Editing takes time. Sometimes, it takes more time than normal. If more time is needed, I will notify you and keep you updated through the process.
HOW MANY PHOTOS DO I GET?
You will get over 600 wedding images. Here’s the thing though. I focus on quality over quantity. I give you the best of the best. I make sure all the important moments are there and beautifully edited. I put tons of love into my work to give you the best photos possible.
WHAT ABOUT PRINTS?
Yes, I offer prints! I wholeheartedly believe that there is nothing more magical than holding your images between your fingertips. When you receive your personal web gallery, you will have the option to order prints directly from there! Friends and family can order as well if you want to offer it to them. Prints are reasonably priced, professionally produced and of highest quality.
DO YOU HAVE BACKUP GEAR?
Yes! I own multiple camera bodies, a number of lenses, and more memory cards than I need at all weddings. I shoot primarily with the Nikon D750 and an assortment of beautiful prime lenses. My camera and my style work best in natural light. Light is the most important element of photography, so it’s very important to me that we have a lot of natural light to work with. During the evening (when all available light is gone) I will use flash to get those fun dance shots.
HOW MUCH DO YOU CHARGE FOR A WEDDING?
Wedding photography collections start at 2950.00. In my experience, every wedding, couple + budget is unique and I am happy to help build the best package that suits you. If you would like to view the complete pricelist please get in touch through the contact form at the top, or send me an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
We love what we see! Now what?
Typically I try to meet all of my clients for an in person consultation before we complete our booking. Since my process is so hands-on and personal, I really like to make sure that we “vibe” and that we will work well together. For international weddings, or even weddings that are just a tiny bit too far to meet in person, I love scheduling these consultations for either Skype or FaceTime. If after we have met in person we both feel that we are a great fit, I will send you a booking proposal where you can select your final package. I then require a 50% retainer fee, along with a signed contract. These final steps are all completed in an incredibly simple and convenient way entirely online.
HOW DOES THE PAYMENT PROCESS WORK?
When you book me, upon signing the contract, you are required to pay a 50% non-refundable retainer. The rest of the payment has to be done 1 month before the wedding, so that I’m not chasing down a check from you on your wedding day. For our largest collection, we do offer an additional payment plan. Email Money Transfer is easiest & preferred. However, you can also pay by certified cheque or cash.
ARE YOU ABLE TO HOLD MY WEDDING DATE WHILE WE MAKE OUR DECISION?
Unfortunately, due to the nature of this industry, I frequently have multiple brides who inquire within days of each other for the same wedding date. In order to stay fair to everyone, I will not place preference on any individual inquiry and do not hold wedding dates until the booking process is completed with a signed contract and retainer fee in place.
DO YOU HAVE PROFESSIONAL INSURANCE?
Yes, 100%, absolutely.
DO YOU PHOTOGRAPH ANYTHING OTHER THAN WEDDINGS?
I do, I have been professionally shooting fashion, editorials and Vanity Fair-inspired portraiture for over 5 years.
– Hire good people who reflect your style, taste and have your best interests at heart.
– Beautiful photography is all about beautiful, natural light. Get ready in a spacious room with lots of beautiful, natural light and big windows. Pick a venue with lots of natural light.
– Sweeping, breathtaking architecture, vast backdrops and thoughtful interior design can elevate your images. Consider prep time in chic AirBnB’s over hotel rooms with often bold and distracting carpets, wallpapers and curtains.
– Make sure your timeline is well-cushioned and gives you a lot of relaxing in-between alone break time with your partner. Plan your ceremony and reception start times with your photographer to get the most out of our gorgeous sunlight for your entire day.
– Wholeheartedly consider an unplugged ceremony. Amongst a generation glued to their mobile devices, it is a sincerely refreshing experience to have everyone completely present for your day. There is nothing like looking back at the crowd of all your family and friends and seeing all of them smiling and tearing up with you (and not down at their phones).
– Write your own vows. If you want that moment to remain intimate, consider saying them in private during your First Look.
– Confetti exits at ceremonies are simply magical! They elicit this incredibly visual celebratory experience for you and your guests to partake in and have fun!
– Consider at least a Day-Of Coordinator so you can be as present as possible at your wedding. Focus on real moments.
– Don’t rush your Formal Portrait time, they will be some of your most cherished and beloved photographs
– Make time during your reception for sunset portraits, it is the most dreamy, romantic light!
– Let the day really represent you and never forget why you are getting married in the first place. Make sure you follow your heart with all your decisions.
– Eat, drink and kiss (a lot!)